Bleatarn Park Holiday Cottages    

enquiries@bleatarnpark.co.uk   

 Tel: +44 (0)1228 573269 

 


 
History

Bleatarn Park is located between the projected course of Hadrian's Wall to the north and the line of the Vallum to the southAerial  view of Bleatarn Park

Hadrian's Wall marked one of the frontiers of the Roman Empire. The military importance of the Tyne-Solway route across was recognised by the Romans during their early campaigns through northern England and into Scotland in the second half of the first century AD.

Stretching over 70 miles from coast to coast, Hadrians Wall was a continuous barrier built of stone in the east, and initially, of turf in the west. The stone wall was originally designed to be two Roman feet wide and sections of this with was termed broad wall. A change of plan shortly after construction began led to a reduction in the width of the wall to eight Roman feet, such sections are termed narrow wall. For most of its length a substantial ditch on the northern side provided additional defence.

Another linear element, the Vallum, was also added to the defensive system to the south of the Wall. This was a broad flat-bottomed ditch flanked by a pair of linear banks. It shadows the course of the Wall for almost all its length, sometimes lying very close to it, but sometimes up to 1km away from it. The Vallums main function was to act as a barrier to restrict access to the Wall from the south. It also had a function in linking the forts along the Wall with a method of lateral communication

Excavations at Bleatarn by Haverfield in 1894-95 recovered remains of the Vallum; this area is now partly built over [partly by the barn that houses the holiday cottages]. These excavations proved it to be the site of a quarry for stone used in the building of Hadrians Wall. Stone bearing clear tool marks were found and investigation showed that a large part of the field had been worked for stone.

Bleatarn Park

The international importance of the surviving remains has been recognised through designation as a World Heritage Site. It is estimated that the barn that houses the cottages was constructed on the site of a former garden in 1900, when it was first built as a threshing barn for the mechanised processing of arable crops. It is unlikely that its builders at that time recognised its archaeological significance, but now, today, by staying at Bleatarn Park, you can literally stand upon Roman History !

 

 

     The images on this page are courtesy of www.perlineamvalli.org.uk


  2011 Bleatarn Park, Irthington, Carlisle CA6 4ND   Tel: 01228 573269       Web site by Howard Web Page Design Services